Skip to main content

My Black History Journey: Mississippi and the Mott Brach Library

My Black History Journey: 

Mississippi and the Mott Branch Library

Emerging from the backdrop of home and "The Shop" was the coalescing of different factors as I entered school at Martin Luther King School for kindergarten and later Nativity/Pickett Elementary. As the Civil Rights movement was ending my teachers in our urban community were motivated to adapt the curriculum to teach the predominantly black students about themselves. Ms. Ricketts, Ms Sutfield, Ms. Gibson, Ms. Coleman, Ms. Gaines, and Ms. Clark all excelled in introducing me and my classmates to our culture. Also, we traveled to the Sepia Theater in our community to watch the movie Sounder and took a field trip to the Mott Branch Library to get our first library cards in the second grade.

Mott Branch Library located on Door Street in the heart of the black community in Toledo was a sanctuary to me. There were books to address almost every question my curious mind could consider.  It happened almost by accident, I walked down the aisle looking for another book and I saw a book that would change my academic life. Great Negroes Past and Present had vignettes of accomplished Americans who were black and not noted in the normal history books. They were men, women, statesmen and inventors.  I also picked up Great Negro Scientists. Checking out these two books, I was determined to read them before their due dates.

Learning about Dr. Daniel Hale Williams who performed the first heart surgery in Chicago, Ralph Bunche the architect of the United Nations and Garrett Morgan inventor of stoplight catapulted my young life to another level.  I realized that despite what was on television and in the news that there were other trailblazers, like my father who were leading in different fields. Also, it became clear I could be anything that God wanted me to be. They key would be the development of my intellectual gifts. Reading the stories of these pioneers inspired me while pushing me to live a life of significance.

It was Mississippi, the birthplace of both my grandfathers, Willie Woodley and Roosevelt Jones, Sr., my great grandfather, George Jones, gret great grandfather Isaac Ginn and the origin if most of my family was the next key in my Black History journey.  My first trip there was at six years old and my Aunt Lou Bee in Mound Bayou taught me so many lessons over the next three summers. 

It was the early 70's less than 20 years after the torture of Emmitt Till, less than a decade after the murders of Medgar Evers, Goodman, Schwener, and Chaney. In this setting I experienced and awakening. Walking the dusty roads of Mound Bayou, Mississippi, gave me a connection to how my people had worked and lived for hundreds of years. Watching my cousins arise early in the morning to get on a truck to go to a cotton field to pick made Black History a reality.

Learning at the library and experiencing history in Mississippi connected me to the power of Black History. I was beginning to understand that I was a link in a chain, part of a people and a movement that was still being fought. Embracing my history informed my identity and prepared me for the struggle to gain the full rights of an American citizen and a black man.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Note of Thanks from Arto Woodley

A Note of Thanks From Arto Woodley "I can no other answer make but thanks, And thanks, and ever thanks..." --Sebastian, Twelfth Night , Act 3, scene 3 Thank you for all of your gifts, service, prayer, support and love. You have helped equip hundreds urban young people at Frontline Outreach over the past sixteen years. In January Bishop Allen Wiggins and I successfully launched the Strategic Alliance with Frontline Outreach and Hope Center West. The Alliance added new board members affiliated with Hope and added new team members to manage the daily operations of Frontline Outreach. Since we have completed the transition process I have moved out of my role as President of Frontline. I will complete my term as a White House Strong City Strong Communities Fellow serving Mayor John Linder ( http://www.gmfus.org/programs/urban-and-regional-policy-program/strong-cities-strong-communities-fellowship/chester-pennsylvania/ ) and finish a doctorate in Higher Ed...

Am I My Brother's Keeper

You’ve heard the question, but do you know its original context? These words—am I my brother’s keeper?—were spoken by Cain, firstborn of Adam and Eve. Cain spewed them when asked by God, “Where is your brother Abel?” This same dialogue could occur with today’s average Christian in Central Florida. If asked “Where is your brother?” we too could be caught trying to cover ourselves in a philosophical debate. But what if we would consider God’s question honestly? In Orlando there were 49 murders in 2006. Thirty-four slain were black. What is the universal Christian response to this record-breaking murder streak? Is it benign neglect? Or claims like this one: “That’s what happens to ‘those people’”? As followers of Christ, are not “those people” our brothers and sisters? 1 John 4:21 says, “And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.” Orlando’s murder rate is just one issue that challenges the body of Christ in this region. Until we rightly identify our br...

A Tribute to Momma

A Tribute to Momma Mother's Day provides the opportunity to pause and meditate on the value of good mothers. The role of mothers has been under attack over the last few decades. It has not been enough to be a mother. Expectations has forced women to become a hybrid man/woman both carrying on a professional life, raising and nurturing a family. For many women like my mother working was a necessity not purely a professional pursuit. It has been eight Mother's Days since I last gave Momma her last card. She along with my grandmother were the defining women in my life. Not so much because of what they provided materially, but rather the spiritual and life lesson they imparted. Yesterday, I spoke to a group of young women receiving their ten year pin for being Girl Scouts. I noted that the whole world is in search of women who embrace their roles as leaders and who are prepared. My mother was such a woman. Never living outside of the inner city she influenced and dev...