Skip to main content

Change Starts Within: Bleach and Water Are Cheap




When I arrived at the doorstep of Frontline Outreach in the fall of 1998 it was a ministry organization that was rich with history. There was a 42,000 square foot building in disrepair and a staff of people uncertain about their future and the ministry’s as well. The programs while well intentioned were not integrated. Everyone knew we worked with children, but no one could quantify what we did or how we did it.

It was apparent the Frontline Team needed a large dose of focus. The dilemma was where to start? Should the emphasis be emergency food assistance, teen pregnancy, boxing, daycare, GED or any of the ideas du jour that I was approached with regularly.

It became clear that Frontline Outreach as a ministry could not help anyone else until it and we (the team) helped ourselves. I announced , “Bleach and water are cheap, let’s clean this building up.” Immediately, the team and I began cleaning out old areas that had accumulated well intentioned “gifts” that were unusable and sprucing the building and the grounds up so that they because inviting. Amazingly, as we cleaned and developed a greater vision of how the building was a tool to help implement ministry, not the “ministry” itself support came from donors, contractors and others.

Lesson:
Most people in adversity look for external stimuli to prompt change. I contend that change starts within. Until our team began to do the best it could with the existing building and resources no one would or could support what we were doing. By looking for opportunity in our current position the Frontline team was able to implement multiple renovations and improvements. Then partners were able to see the vision as we began to live it. We could not wait to implement the vision until we had enough resources.

Next issue Building and Cherishing Relationships

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Note of Thanks from Arto Woodley

A Note of Thanks From Arto Woodley "I can no other answer make but thanks, And thanks, and ever thanks..." --Sebastian, Twelfth Night , Act 3, scene 3 Thank you for all of your gifts, service, prayer, support and love. You have helped equip hundreds urban young people at Frontline Outreach over the past sixteen years. In January Bishop Allen Wiggins and I successfully launched the Strategic Alliance with Frontline Outreach and Hope Center West. The Alliance added new board members affiliated with Hope and added new team members to manage the daily operations of Frontline Outreach. Since we have completed the transition process I have moved out of my role as President of Frontline. I will complete my term as a White House Strong City Strong Communities Fellow serving Mayor John Linder ( http://www.gmfus.org/programs/urban-and-regional-policy-program/strong-cities-strong-communities-fellowship/chester-pennsylvania/ ) and finish a doctorate in Higher Ed...

Am I My Brother's Keeper

You’ve heard the question, but do you know its original context? These words—am I my brother’s keeper?—were spoken by Cain, firstborn of Adam and Eve. Cain spewed them when asked by God, “Where is your brother Abel?” This same dialogue could occur with today’s average Christian in Central Florida. If asked “Where is your brother?” we too could be caught trying to cover ourselves in a philosophical debate. But what if we would consider God’s question honestly? In Orlando there were 49 murders in 2006. Thirty-four slain were black. What is the universal Christian response to this record-breaking murder streak? Is it benign neglect? Or claims like this one: “That’s what happens to ‘those people’”? As followers of Christ, are not “those people” our brothers and sisters? 1 John 4:21 says, “And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.” Orlando’s murder rate is just one issue that challenges the body of Christ in this region. Until we rightly identify our br...

A Tribute to Momma

A Tribute to Momma Mother's Day provides the opportunity to pause and meditate on the value of good mothers. The role of mothers has been under attack over the last few decades. It has not been enough to be a mother. Expectations has forced women to become a hybrid man/woman both carrying on a professional life, raising and nurturing a family. For many women like my mother working was a necessity not purely a professional pursuit. It has been eight Mother's Days since I last gave Momma her last card. She along with my grandmother were the defining women in my life. Not so much because of what they provided materially, but rather the spiritual and life lesson they imparted. Yesterday, I spoke to a group of young women receiving their ten year pin for being Girl Scouts. I noted that the whole world is in search of women who embrace their roles as leaders and who are prepared. My mother was such a woman. Never living outside of the inner city she influenced and dev...