Skip to main content

The Problem of Pain


When I shared today at Port Charlotte International Church I delved into what do you do when you experience extreme, physical, emotional or situational pain. I believe God began healing in the lives of some of the people there. Job in the Bible points the way to how we might respond when as Christians you are found in deep difficulty. The truth is you, me and most of the people we know believe we are doing God a favor by attempting to be righteous. When we face difficulty we wonder, why me? How do I know this? I know it because I have found myself saying the same thing. If we are truly honest, our efforts have earned us nothing. There is nothing good within us save the redeeming work of Christ. Until He returns we will experience pain because of evil in the world, our own sin, and for the cause of righteousness. In the message the Problem of Pain I noted from C.S. Lewsis's book of the same title that: "GOD WHISPERS TO US IN OUR PLEASURES, SPEAKS TO US IN OUR CONSCIENCE, BUT SHOUTS IN OUR PAIN: IT IS HIS MEGAPHONE TO ROUSE A DEAF WORLD."


If you find yourself experiencing pain in your life. Listen to what God is saying to you. Know that He loves you and hurts when you hurt and that your pain will be redeemed for His glory. Don't isolate yourself. Stay connected to "safe people" who can encourage you. I hope you enjoy the message. Please share your thoughts by commenting at this blog. Here is the link: http://www.box.net/shared/jzheantqoo. Blessings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Note of Thanks from Arto Woodley

A Note of Thanks From Arto Woodley "I can no other answer make but thanks, And thanks, and ever thanks..." --Sebastian, Twelfth Night , Act 3, scene 3 Thank you for all of your gifts, service, prayer, support and love. You have helped equip hundreds urban young people at Frontline Outreach over the past sixteen years. In January Bishop Allen Wiggins and I successfully launched the Strategic Alliance with Frontline Outreach and Hope Center West. The Alliance added new board members affiliated with Hope and added new team members to manage the daily operations of Frontline Outreach. Since we have completed the transition process I have moved out of my role as President of Frontline. I will complete my term as a White House Strong City Strong Communities Fellow serving Mayor John Linder ( http://www.gmfus.org/programs/urban-and-regional-policy-program/strong-cities-strong-communities-fellowship/chester-pennsylvania/ ) and finish a doctorate in Higher Ed...

Am I My Brother's Keeper

You’ve heard the question, but do you know its original context? These words—am I my brother’s keeper?—were spoken by Cain, firstborn of Adam and Eve. Cain spewed them when asked by God, “Where is your brother Abel?” This same dialogue could occur with today’s average Christian in Central Florida. If asked “Where is your brother?” we too could be caught trying to cover ourselves in a philosophical debate. But what if we would consider God’s question honestly? In Orlando there were 49 murders in 2006. Thirty-four slain were black. What is the universal Christian response to this record-breaking murder streak? Is it benign neglect? Or claims like this one: “That’s what happens to ‘those people’”? As followers of Christ, are not “those people” our brothers and sisters? 1 John 4:21 says, “And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.” Orlando’s murder rate is just one issue that challenges the body of Christ in this region. Until we rightly identify our br...

A Tribute to Momma

A Tribute to Momma Mother's Day provides the opportunity to pause and meditate on the value of good mothers. The role of mothers has been under attack over the last few decades. It has not been enough to be a mother. Expectations has forced women to become a hybrid man/woman both carrying on a professional life, raising and nurturing a family. For many women like my mother working was a necessity not purely a professional pursuit. It has been eight Mother's Days since I last gave Momma her last card. She along with my grandmother were the defining women in my life. Not so much because of what they provided materially, but rather the spiritual and life lesson they imparted. Yesterday, I spoke to a group of young women receiving their ten year pin for being Girl Scouts. I noted that the whole world is in search of women who embrace their roles as leaders and who are prepared. My mother was such a woman. Never living outside of the inner city she influenced and dev...