Skip to main content

The Value of A Matriarch: Mother's Day 2010







This is dedicated to the memory of my Mother Patricia Elaine Woodley and Grandmother Virgie Lee Jones.



A Matriarch is an older woman worthy of respect and honor .

Recently I was asked to briefly share what is a matriarch. Immediately, my mind reflected on what does God's Word says in Proverbs 31 and Titus 2 concerning women and mothers. As I thought more deeply I meditated on my own mother and her mother (which was the only grandmother I knew) and I drew conclusions not only from scripture but also from experience. Some of this experience is colored by older women in the church of my youth and what I remember from my great grandmothers.

Why does this matter? Girls should care because they need to know see through all the conflicting messages about women. Boys need to know to gain insight into the type of girls they choose as friends. Young women need to know so they can have a goal in their womanhood. Young men need to know what character traits and qualties to look for in a woman. Finally, older women should use this as a mirror to see if they indeed reflect the traits of a matriach.

A Matriarch is an older woman worthy of respect and honor . Though she is not perfect; she is:
Trustworthy
Never petty always generous
Resourceful
Organized
Purposeful
Respectful and respected
Cheerful
An example to younger women
Praised by her family and children
Shares and lives God's Word and points people to Christ

It is never too late for a woman to become who God destined her to be. I am both a witness and example of the impact of a matriach can have. Our families need these women, as do neighborhoods, churches, cities and societies long for women to reach their God appointed purpose. Ladies be encouraged to becoming and older woman worthy of respect an honor. Men encourage your sisters, wives and daughter to attain this goal. True matriarchs help form the core of our families and society. Blessings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Note of Thanks from Arto Woodley

A Note of Thanks From Arto Woodley "I can no other answer make but thanks, And thanks, and ever thanks..." --Sebastian, Twelfth Night , Act 3, scene 3 Thank you for all of your gifts, service, prayer, support and love. You have helped equip hundreds urban young people at Frontline Outreach over the past sixteen years. In January Bishop Allen Wiggins and I successfully launched the Strategic Alliance with Frontline Outreach and Hope Center West. The Alliance added new board members affiliated with Hope and added new team members to manage the daily operations of Frontline Outreach. Since we have completed the transition process I have moved out of my role as President of Frontline. I will complete my term as a White House Strong City Strong Communities Fellow serving Mayor John Linder ( http://www.gmfus.org/programs/urban-and-regional-policy-program/strong-cities-strong-communities-fellowship/chester-pennsylvania/ ) and finish a doctorate in Higher Ed...

Am I My Brother's Keeper

You’ve heard the question, but do you know its original context? These words—am I my brother’s keeper?—were spoken by Cain, firstborn of Adam and Eve. Cain spewed them when asked by God, “Where is your brother Abel?” This same dialogue could occur with today’s average Christian in Central Florida. If asked “Where is your brother?” we too could be caught trying to cover ourselves in a philosophical debate. But what if we would consider God’s question honestly? In Orlando there were 49 murders in 2006. Thirty-four slain were black. What is the universal Christian response to this record-breaking murder streak? Is it benign neglect? Or claims like this one: “That’s what happens to ‘those people’”? As followers of Christ, are not “those people” our brothers and sisters? 1 John 4:21 says, “And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.” Orlando’s murder rate is just one issue that challenges the body of Christ in this region. Until we rightly identify our br...

A Tribute to Momma

A Tribute to Momma Mother's Day provides the opportunity to pause and meditate on the value of good mothers. The role of mothers has been under attack over the last few decades. It has not been enough to be a mother. Expectations has forced women to become a hybrid man/woman both carrying on a professional life, raising and nurturing a family. For many women like my mother working was a necessity not purely a professional pursuit. It has been eight Mother's Days since I last gave Momma her last card. She along with my grandmother were the defining women in my life. Not so much because of what they provided materially, but rather the spiritual and life lesson they imparted. Yesterday, I spoke to a group of young women receiving their ten year pin for being Girl Scouts. I noted that the whole world is in search of women who embrace their roles as leaders and who are prepared. My mother was such a woman. Never living outside of the inner city she influenced and dev...