Skip to main content

My Black History Journey: Beginning



Black History Beginning: Home and Woodley Auto
Repair


When you control a man's thinking you don't have to worry about his actions. You don't have to tell him to stand here or go yonder. He will find his "proper place" an stay in it. You do not need to send him to the back.

Miseducation of the Negro 1933
Dr. Carter G. Woodson, Father of Black History

In this sense the Negro problem is not only America's greatest failure but also America's incomparably great opportunity for the future. If America should follow its own deepest convictions, its well-being at home would be increased directly. At the same time America's prestige and power abroad would rise immensely.

The American Dilemma 1944
Gunnar Myrdal

My Black History journey started at home in Toledo Ohio (The Glass City), the home of jazz innovators Art Tatum and Jon Hendricks along with pioneering black lawyer Albertus Brown. The home of WKLR with, "Paul Brown the man about town (my uncle)," it was one the north end of Toledo where I lived during the latter end of the tumultuous 60's in the midst of the riots, assassinations and Vietnam War. My father, mother, me and brother Rodney moved to Nebraska Ave in 1969 where I believe we were the second black family on our block. This was a neighborhood that was predominantly Polish people with a few Italians residents. A neighbor asked my Mom, "You all were Negroes, then you were Colored, now I hear you want to be called Black, what should I call you?" She answered wryly with a smile, "Call me Mrs. Woodley." Ironically, we moved on that block exactly ten years after My grandfather, Roosevelt Jones, Sr. moved his wife and 11 children to the 1700 block of Belmont and they were the first Black family for blocks (also where I met Bootsy Collins, musician when he was a member of the House Guests).

It was in that house on Nebraska where we were surrounded by the Holy Bible, the Reader's Digest Condensed books, the Days in the Life of Martin Luther King and the Autobiography of  Malcolm X. It was a world of consciousness and calling to purpose that surrounded me and my brothers. Of all the profound impressions the greatest were New Jerusalem COGIC (I'll note later) and Woodley Auto Repair.  Affectionately known as, "The Shop," This converted GULF gas station was more than just where people brought their cars for repairs, it was the hub of the North Detroit and Nebraska Ave neighborhood.

It was at the Shop where I watched a man, Arto Woodley, Sr. serve as an entrepreneur and leader while refusing to fit into the factory system and break the stereotype black men of his generation. I learned the early principles of business by cleaning tools, writing invoices and sweeping sawdust. Immersed in the music of the times listening WKLR and meeting doctors, lawyers, players, church people, hustlers and party people, I witnessed black culture in its rawest sense. At Pickett Elementary and St. Teresa's, I may have gained an education, but I learned how to navigate life and the hood at the Shop. My father worked 10-12 hours days fixing and towing cars. It is where his lessons that, "Oatmeal is better than no meal and every man has to has a hustle," came alive.

My early Black History lesson involved the concepts of our purpose is wrapped up in God's purpose for our lives and the American Democracy is  a great experiment that is still being developed. 
America was a place where a black man in the 1970's the battle for equality was still being fought, just in a new way. Frederick Douglass's quote, "People might not get all they work for in this world, but they will certainly work for all they get," was learned in Toledo and at the Shop.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Note of Thanks from Arto Woodley

A Note of Thanks From Arto Woodley "I can no other answer make but thanks, And thanks, and ever thanks..." --Sebastian, Twelfth Night , Act 3, scene 3 Thank you for all of your gifts, service, prayer, support and love. You have helped equip hundreds urban young people at Frontline Outreach over the past sixteen years. In January Bishop Allen Wiggins and I successfully launched the Strategic Alliance with Frontline Outreach and Hope Center West. The Alliance added new board members affiliated with Hope and added new team members to manage the daily operations of Frontline Outreach. Since we have completed the transition process I have moved out of my role as President of Frontline. I will complete my term as a White House Strong City Strong Communities Fellow serving Mayor John Linder ( http://www.gmfus.org/programs/urban-and-regional-policy-program/strong-cities-strong-communities-fellowship/chester-pennsylvania/ ) and finish a doctorate in Higher Ed...

Am I My Brother's Keeper

You’ve heard the question, but do you know its original context? These words—am I my brother’s keeper?—were spoken by Cain, firstborn of Adam and Eve. Cain spewed them when asked by God, “Where is your brother Abel?” This same dialogue could occur with today’s average Christian in Central Florida. If asked “Where is your brother?” we too could be caught trying to cover ourselves in a philosophical debate. But what if we would consider God’s question honestly? In Orlando there were 49 murders in 2006. Thirty-four slain were black. What is the universal Christian response to this record-breaking murder streak? Is it benign neglect? Or claims like this one: “That’s what happens to ‘those people’”? As followers of Christ, are not “those people” our brothers and sisters? 1 John 4:21 says, “And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.” Orlando’s murder rate is just one issue that challenges the body of Christ in this region. Until we rightly identify our br...

A Tribute to Momma

A Tribute to Momma Mother's Day provides the opportunity to pause and meditate on the value of good mothers. The role of mothers has been under attack over the last few decades. It has not been enough to be a mother. Expectations has forced women to become a hybrid man/woman both carrying on a professional life, raising and nurturing a family. For many women like my mother working was a necessity not purely a professional pursuit. It has been eight Mother's Days since I last gave Momma her last card. She along with my grandmother were the defining women in my life. Not so much because of what they provided materially, but rather the spiritual and life lesson they imparted. Yesterday, I spoke to a group of young women receiving their ten year pin for being Girl Scouts. I noted that the whole world is in search of women who embrace their roles as leaders and who are prepared. My mother was such a woman. Never living outside of the inner city she influenced and dev...